Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Character Design Image One: Part Two



After deciding my initial design wasn't going to work, I decided to rethink my ideas. I decided that my previous design with the pink gradient and the thick stripes looked too galaxical, I decided that I would trash the neon pink and bring my character back down to earth.

Last post I proposed the use of the zebra pattern, the idea of using an animal print was inspired by the men of the Sepik River Tribe who carved into their bodies to create patterns similar to the crocodile. Not only I liked the effect of the scarification, but also the meaning and symbolism behind it. I thought my first design and trial did not portray my thinking and the pattern that I created did not much resemble one of a zebra. I wanted to create a character that appears strong and beautiful, like a warrior, but also elegant and alluring. The zebra pattern is a fingerprint, it allows it to be recognised amongst it's community and since zebras have a tight nit and intimate social structure it is symbolic of the importance of community, without it survival would be impossible as they are constantly surrounded by predators. Therefore I feel their stripes represent protection and teamwork. I picture a world in which humans embraced the idea of responsibility for one another, sharing and protecting together as a stronger human species.

Below is a new and improved face chart.




You can see from this more detailed face chart that the pattern resembles the pattern of a zebra much more. Since the pattern is quite intricate, I felt like the face makeup should be kept quite nude, the pattern will be coloured to match the skin tone, however slightly contoured to bring out the ridges. The face is heavily contoured to slim the face and accentuate the cheekbones, a mauve brown blush will be used on the cheeks and temples to bring some warmth into the nude - the lips will match the blush colour.
I chose for the eyebrows to be straight and pointed upwards towards the temples because it balances the softness of the large bambi eyes and signals power. Since a zebra is very aware of it's surroundings, I thought I would enlarge the eyes to symbolise this, by applying white liner on the inner rim of the eye, you start to create a new lower lash line. The rest of the eye makeup will be kept neutral, with shading on the crease to deepen the eye and large fluttery lashes applied a little over the edge of the eye to elongate the eyes and lower lashes drawn on to finish the doe eye effect.

For the hair, I was thinking of very simple slicked back designs so that the hair is out of the face for the face to really stand out. I feel that the idea of a sleek pony tail or glossy combed back hair is not only high fashion but adds to the power element of the design.

Below is a mood board showing the different ways in which could I could present the hair.




Below is the profile of my face chart alongside a list of products which will be used to create this look. You can see that I have opted for the sleek slicked back look as I think it brings a very elegant and feminine approach whilst keeping the power aspect. It is also fairly simple to create, since I have only two hours to complete this entire look, I must work quickly and I will have less to worry about when it comes to the hair. My model for this look also has blonde hair, however, her hair is not long enough to create the sleek tight ponytail that I could have chosen to do, therefore this is the alternative option.



No comments:

Post a Comment